This was one of My Fathers favorite desserts. This recipe is a little longer, but it is well worth the effort. Skip the store-bought and make summertime strawberry shortcake completely from scratch. Make these homemade strawberry shortcake biscuits topped with fresh berries in our Strawberry Danish dessert sauce. – you won’t be sorry!Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
- FOR THE SHORTCAKE BISCUITS:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, quartered into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, (or Raw Sugar)
- FOR THE STRAWBERRIES & WHIP TOPPING:
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced 1/4-inch slices
- 2/3 cup Strawberry Danish Dessert Mix 15lb Item #290300
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups prepared Dutch Whip Premium topping. Item# 183108
- MAKE THE SHORTCAKE BISCUITS:
- 1. Preheat your oven to 425° and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. 2. In a medium mixing bowl, measure and add; unbleached all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and fine salt. Whisk to combine. 3. Add in the cubed, cold unsalted butter. Using a pastry blender or fork, rub the butter into the flour. Stop once the mixture is coarse with pea-size clumps of butter throughout. 4. Pour in the buttermilk and use a rubber spatula to stir until the mixture comes together and forms a shaggy dough. If you’re noticing a bit of dry ingredients in the bottom of the bowl, go ahead and add 1 extra tablespoon of buttermilk. 5. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roughly shape into 8 craggy looking balls. The less perfect the ball, the better it will turn out once baked. 6. Place the balls onto your prepared pan, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar. I gently press on the balls a little to flatten them a smidgen. This way they hold more of the sugar. 7. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes on the middle rack of your preheated oven. Rotate the pan halfway to insure even baking and browning. 8. Remove and let cool slightly.
- MAKE THE STRAWBERRIES: 1. While the shortcake biscuits are baking, prepare Strawberry Danish. 2. Stir 2/3 cup Strawberry Danish Dessert mix into 2 cups cold water in medium-size saucepan. 3. Bring to full boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. 4. Fold in sliced fresh strawberries. Stir well to combine and set off to the side for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- TO ASSEMBLE: 1. Use a serrated knife and cut the shortcake biscuits in half horizontally. 2. Spoon some of the strawberry topping over top of the bottom half of the biscuit, spilling some it onto the plate. 3. Next, top with a dollop of Dutch Whip Topping and replace the top half of the biscuit. 4. Add a second dollop of Dutch Whip and a small spoonful of strawberries. 5. Serve immediately. . . Hello Summer!